Tradies tend to work in a higher risk area than other occupations and it’s important that you put appropriate steps in place to stay safe while on the job. There are a few simple strategies you can use which reduces the risk of workplace injury, which could have serious physical and financial consequences.
Simple Tips for Staying Safe
- Protect your back – When it comes to heavy lifting, make sure you use safe lifting techniques such as bending at the knees rather than the waist and lifting with your legs to avoid back strain. It’s also important to avoid repetitive handling so you don’t continually put pressure on your back. Remember to use trolleys or other aids if you can.
- Wear protective gear – If you’ve been doing your job for a while, it’s easy to become complacent and carry out work without protecting yourself. However, protective gear is used for a reason and it’s important to remember to use things like steel capped boots, safety glasses and other protective equipment.
- Look out for hazards – It’s up to everyone to keep an eye on the workplace and make sure there are no hazards. Look out of spills or tripping hazards and let the right person know if you spot anything dangerous or clean it up yourself. This will not only make sure you stay safe but will also protect your co-workers.
- Preventing falls from heights – Again, if you work from heights on a regular basis, it’s easy to let safety slide and assume it will never happen to you. Unfortunately, injuries from falls in the workplace are all too common. Make sure you have the appropriate guard rails in place and have properly maintained ladders. Also, don’t forget to use harnesses where appropriate.
- Drive safe – If you’re required to drive machinery such as forklifts as part of your work, make sure you protect yourself and those around you. Have the proper safety signs up and make sure your load is secure. Be aware of your surroundings, particularly when reversing, and avoid dangerous surfaces.
Prepare for the Unexpected
Although it’s important that you take all reasonable steps to avoid being injured, sometimes accidents happen and you could find yourself unable to work after a sudden injury. To prepare for this scenario, it’s important to consider having Personal Accident and Illness Cover in place. This cover ensures you continue to receive a portion of your income if you’re unable to work due to accident or illness until you can return to work or until your policy runs out. This means you can keep up with expenses and concentrate on your health.
At All Trades Cover, we provide Personal Accident and Illness Cover, as well as a range of other insurance policies specific to the needs to tradies.
To discuss Personal Accident and Illness Cover, or any other insurance options, contact the staff at All Trades Cover on 1300 635 315 and we would be happy to help. For a quick and easy quote, you can also fill out our simply online form.