A lot of tradies find themselves having to work at height and it’s important that proper steps are taken so all safety concerns are covered. A bad fall can have devastating consequences and can leave you out of action for some time. Unfortunately, working at heights remains one of the biggest causes of fatalities and major injuries.
Remember, it’s not just construction workers who have to work at height. Tradies who install air conditioning units, solar panels or insulation are all at risk and there are a number of other individuals who are required to work on the roof or in the roof space. There are a few things to remmeber to make sure all the proper precautions are taken when working at heights.
There are a few things that need to be put in place when working at heights to make sure everyone stays safe.
- Work platform – It’s important to use a work platform which has proper edging to protect you from falls. Ladders should only be used as access and shouldn’t be used as a work platform unless three points of contact can be made at all times.
- Correct use of ladders – If ladders are used for access, never overload them or overreach. Ladders should not be leant against weak surfaces such as plastic gutters and you should never use them alone.
- Proper training – If you’re in a position where you’re required to work at height, make sure you’ve had the proper training so you feel well prepared. If you’re an employer, you have an obligation to make sure all employees are fully aware of the safety procedures when working at height.
- Safety procedures – When working at heights, make sure there are proper procedures for safety. Everyone should know the procedures for issues such as using ladders and putting up safety signage. The proper permits should also be used when working at height.
- Check equipment – Always make sure that the equipment used when working at height is well maintained, strong and suitable for the jobs. Regular checks should take place to ensure optimal safety.
Remember, if you have employees working at heights, there are specific occupational health and safety regulations which need to be followed and you should familiarise yourself with these.
If The Worst Happens
Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, accidents can happen and you may find yourself in a situation where you’re seriously injured. For peace of mind, it’s important to have the right insurance in place to protect both workers and employers.
Personal Accident and Illness Insurance protects you if you’re unable to work due to injury or illness and will provide you with regular payments so you’re able to keep up with the expenses and maintain your lifestyle. These payments will continue until your maximum benefit period is reached or you return to work. For employers, Workers Compensation Insurance is an important consideration as it means the insurer will reimburse you for an employee’s wages if they file a successful worker’s compensation claim.
To discuss the best insurance package for you, contact All Trades Cover on 1300 826 850 today or fill in our easy online form for a quote!